There are many ways you can support the League of Women Voters in Minneapolis.
Becoming a member will open a myriad of opportunities for leadership, education and working with people who share your passion for participatory democracy.
Making a donation will support the non-partisan work the League does in our community.
Would like to help but don’t know how?
Here are some ideas. We’d love to have you join us in our quest to inform and educate the electorate. Call the League office at 612-333-6319 for more information.
- Are you a people person? Help coordinate volunteers for League activities.
- Help in the LWVMpls office with mailings and special projects.
- Attend a meeting with other interesting, engaged citizens living close to you and learn more about current government issues.
- Interested in how our city government works? Call the office to connect with the City Government Committee.
- Interested in education issues? Call the office to get connected with others who share your interest.
- Are you a comfortable public speaker? We are always looking for volunteers to speak in schools and in the community about voting and civic involvement. Call the League office at 612-333-6319 or Marilyn Dean at 612-377-4223.
You don’t have to be a member to volunteer, though being a member connects you with other members and ensures ongoing information about volunteer opportunities. We encourage you to join online. If you know a specific LWV Mpls project or program in which you are interested, we will be happy to connect you with others working in that area. A list of typical volunteer activities is listed below. In general, there are four types of LWV volunteer commitments:
- One-time activities, e.g., helping register voters
- Short-term projects, e.g., a fundraiser
- Committees, e.g., to study an issue
- Leadership positions, e.g., committee chair or board member
What would you like to do? Choose from one of the categories below or tell us about your skills and volunteer ideas. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 612-333-6319 and we will contact you.
Voter Services and Education: Help collect data and materials from polling places around the city and transport them back to a central location. Register voters at citizenship ceremonies. Staff phone lines that provide information. Prepare voter guides, or work with community groups to increase voter knowledge about the election process.
Candidate Forums: Work as a moderator or timekeeper.
Neighborhood Elections: Register electors, moderate forums, act as a timekeeper, count ballots.
Committees: Work with other League members studying issues and suggesting member action.
Volunteer Coordination: Track member interests and work with other members to help them get involved.
Development: Work with a committee responsible for generating revenue for the organization through fundraisers, grants, and donations.
Membership: Help recruit and retain members.
Government Observers: See your elected and appointed officials as they do their jobs. Attend City Council and other City committee meetings. Observe at independent board meetings, e.g., School Board, Park Board. Report your observations using guidelines provided.
Office Volunteers: Help with data entry, phones, mail, copying and filing as well as periodic large mailings.